Types of Adoption Agencies
Local Adoption Agencies
If you’re looking for an adoption agency that specializes in one‐on‐one relationships with their clients, a local adoption agency might be just what you need.
Unlike national adoption agencies that work with prospective birth mothers and adoptive parents across the United States, local adoption agencies only work within a particular region or state. While there are plenty of local adoption agencies that specialize in private domestic adoptions, there are also local adoption agencies in every state that focus on either international or foster care adoptions.
What Services do Local Adoption Agencies Provide?
Local adoption agencies offer many of the same services that national adoption agencies are well‐known for. Here are some services that local adoption agencies typically provide:
- Matching services
- Counseling and educational resources
- Post‐placement services
- Hospital and adoption planning
When looking for a local adoption agency, you’ll want to make sure to research all of their services to make sure they can provide everything you’re looking for in an adoption professional. No matter who you choose, you’ll want to make sure that the services they offer are of the highest quality.
What are the Pros and Cons of Working with a Local Adoption Agency?
There are several reasons why you might consider working with a local adoption agency over a national one. Before you decide, here are the top reasons why you should and shouldn’t work with a local adoption agency:
Pros of Local Adoption Agencies
- Local adoption agencies are licensed by their state’s government, which means their files and procedures reviewed every year and are thoroughly regulated by the state. This helps give adoptive families and prospective birth mothers peace of mind when working locally.
- You may be able to meet your adoption specialist in person. Having face‐to‐face contact can help you feel more secure in the adoption process.
- Having a smaller client list sometimes means that your local adoption agency may be better equipped to handle your needs.
Cons of Local Adoption Agencies
- Adoptive families may end up experiencing a longer wait time by working with a local adoption agency. While hopeful parents can typically expect to wait up to a year for placement with a national adoption agency, local adoption agency wait times can often be unpredictable due to being limited to adoption opportunities in one area. When it comes to wait times, adoptive families usually have a better experience working with a national adoption agency.
- Similarly, prospective birth parents often have fewer adoptive families to choose from when working with a local adoption agency, since they are limited to choosing adoptive parents in their immediate area. This could mean that it is more difficult to find the perfect adoptive family that matches the dreams you have for your baby.
- While an adoptive family’s agency fees may be less expensive at first glance, your overall feels may end up being more costly than you initially thought. Many local adoption agencies don’t have the resources to spend on advertising in the same way that national adoption agencies do, and you may have to take the time to place your own advertisements. This will make it even harder to find adoption opportunities that meet your needs for adoption. Additionally, some smaller agencies charge hidden or recurring fees that aren’t included in their initial cost estimates or may provide less value for your investment by offering fewer services.
- Local adoption agencies typically have fewer resources and services available to both prospective birth parents and adoptive families. If you’re looking for services that are available at any time, like 24/7 counseling, it might be better to work with a larger, national adoption agency.
- Many local adoption agencies don’t provide after‐hours and weekend services. If you’re unable to get ahold of anyone in a timely manner, you’ll end up feeling frustrated and scared of making an adoption plan with an adoption agency that has such scarce accessibility.
Who Adopts Through a Local Adoption Agency?
There are many reasons for why an adoptive family or a woman considering an adoption might think about working with a local adoption agency. Those who are interesting in working with local adoption agencies are people who:
- Who would prefer to complete an adoption within their state
- Who are unable to leave their state for an adoption
- Value face‐to‐face contact, and want to have a more meaningful relationship with their adoption specialist
- Feel comfortable with a local adoption and would prefer to be matched with a prospective birth mother or adoptive family in their area
- Don’t mind longer wait times
- Would prefer to work with an adoption agency that has a smaller staff
Where Can I Find Child Adoption Agencies Near Me?
Every state has its own list of local adoption agencies that can help complete your adoption, regardless if you’re a prospective birth mother or a couple hoping to adopt. To help you get started, here is a complied list of local adoption information by state.
Even if you don’t plan to work with a national adoption agency, you can always call their 24/7 hotline services if you have any questions about the adoption process. Any adoption specialist will be more than happy to help you through the adoption process:
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.