Your Guide to Adoption Agencies in Washington
Your Guide to Adoption Agencies in Bellevue, WA
People from all walks of life consider adoption. Millions of women experience unplanned pregnancies each year in the U.S. For thousands, parenting is not an option. Within this group there are mothers, young girls, professionals, students and more. Many different types of women choose adoption — and it could be right for you. Many hopeful parents may come to adoption after a long and difficult bout with infertility. Others choose adoption over high-risk pregnancies, or are a member of an LGBTQ couple with a dream of starting a family. Adoption is a beautiful family-building option for tens of thousands of Americans each year. Whether you are a pregnant woman or hopeful parent, you will need the help of an agency. This guide to adoption agencies in Bellevue will get you started.
Why Work with Bellevue Adoption Agencies?Adoption agencies in Bellevue support adoptive families and prospective birth mothers through the adoption process. The process can be long and complicated, and the best way to ensure it is done correctly is by working with an experienced professional. What kinds of services are required to successfully and legally complete an adoption? Here are a few things adoption agencies in Bellevue do. For Prospective Birth Mothers:
- Help creating an adoption plan
- Locating potential adoptive families
- Coordinating adoption financial assistance, when applicable
- Coordinating medical care and creating a hospital plan for birth
- Facilitating communication in open adoption
- Creating and distributing an adoptive family profile
- Finding an adoption opportunity with a prospective birth mother
- Counseling and guidance
- Connection to legal services
- Administrative assistance with the home study, ICPC and more
Types of Adoption Agencies in BellevueIn general, there are three types of adoption:
- Domestic infant adoption
- Foster care adoption
- International adoption
Domestic Adoption Agencies in BellevueDomestic adoption agencies, also called private adoption agencies, assist prospective birth mothers and hopeful parents in the adoption of infants in the U.S. If you’re a woman experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and considering adoption, this is the type of adoption agency in Bellevue you will need to work with. If, as a hopeful parent, your dream is to adopt a baby from the U.S., then domestic infant adoption is your best option.
Bellevue Adoption and Foster Care AgenciesThere are 10,000 children in the Washington foster care system, and more than 2,000 of those children are waiting for a family through adoption. Foster care adoption can be a wonderful way to grow your family and also meet the deepest needs of a child. Typically, children who are waiting in foster care are older, which is something a family must be prepared for. If you think foster care adoption could be right for you, then a Bellevue adoption and foster care agency can help.
International Adoption Agencies in BellevueHopeful parents can also decide to adopt a child from a foreign country with the help of an international adoption agency. International adoption has been declining since its peak in 2004, but it is still a viable option that thousands of American families pursue each year.
Thinking Local vs. NationalWhen you’re searching for the right agency, especially as a pregnant woman or a hopeful parent looking for domestic agencies, you will find some professionals who are local and others who are national. Local adoption agencies in Bellevue are typically much smaller and work only within a county or state. National adoption agencies, as you would expect, work across the country with prospective birth mothers and adoptive parents. Which one will be better for you? It depends on your unique situation. Here are some general pros and cons to consider when choosing between a local and national agency:
National Adoption Agencies:
- Typically, these have larger staffs with more combined experience.
- Larger agencies can offer shorter average wait times due to larger search area for adoption opportunities.
- Some national agencies offer 24/7 availability, which is especially important for prospective birth mothers.
- You will likely not be able to meet your adoption specialist in person.
- Travel for placement is more likely.
Local Adoption Agencies:
- These agencies usually have smaller staffs, which can result in social workers with large caseloads.
- You will have the opportunity to work with your adoption specialist in-person.
- You are more likely to have a local placement.
- With smaller staffs, availability is more likely to be limited to typical 9-5 office hours.
Adoption Agencies in BellevueIt’s okay to take time considering all of the choices above. Which type of adoption agency is best for you? Will you work with a local or national agency? Once you have thought about these things, here are several Bellevue adoption agencies you could considering work with:
National Domestic Adoption Agencies:
Local Adoption Agencies in Bellevue:
Bellevue Foster Care and Adoption Agencies:
International Adoption Agencies in Bellevue:
Next Steps Toward AdoptionSometimes the first step is the most difficult. But if you know that adoption is right for you, you just have to pick that foot up and start moving. The next thing to do is begin researching and contacting specific adoption agencies in Bellevue. It’s a good idea to speak with several agencies and take your time with this choice. Once you’ve decided on an agency, you’re ready to begin the adoption process.
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.