When Can You “Give a Child Up” for Adoption?
Last-Minute Adoption [Is it too Late?]
Is Same-Day Adoption Possible?
If you have decided last-minute that you are not ready to become a parent, you might be wondering: Is it too late to place my baby for adoption?
The short answer is no, it is never too late for adoption. Even a same-day adoption is possible. You are most likely dealing with a lot of overwhelming emotions as you wonder how to put your baby up for adoption today.
In this article you will learn how to arrange a last-minute adoption.
Who Can I Contact About Last-Minute Adoption?
If you have chosen a last-minute adoption, you can reach out to an adoption professional today to get more information on the adoption process. A national adoption agency is going to be the most equipped to handle a same-day adoption in an efficient manner because they have a larger pool of adoptive families for you to choose from.
The adoption professional you connect with will help you weigh your options and make sure that last-minute adoption is really the right choice for you. It’s easy to make an impulsive decision amidst the heightened emotions of the unplanned pregnancy, especially if you are deciding to give your baby up for adoption “last-minute,” as you are nearing your due date or have already checked into the hospital. An adoption professional will help you determine if your feelings of not being ready to be a parent are based in rational reasoning and not on a whim. Adoption is an important decision that will have a lasting impact on you and your baby.
At the end of the day, the decision is yours to make, and an adoption agency can help you get started.
How Fast Can I “Give My Child Up” for Adoption?
There is no set time duration for how quickly you can place your child for adoption. That is entirely up to you and what you’re comfortable with. No matter how fast you are comfortable with moving through the process, there are typically five steps you will need to complete:
- Step 1: Choose adoption. It is important that you are absolutely confident in your decision to pursue last-minute adoption. No matter when you make the decision, adoption is always brave and selfless.
- Step 2: Choose your adoption professional. Once you’ve decided to choose adoption, you’ll need to get in contact with an adoption professional. In the instance of a last-minute adoption, a national adoption agency has the most resources to adequately help you.
- Step 3: Choose the adoptive family. After consulting with an adoption professional, you will have the opportunity to choose your baby’s adoptive family. They will show you profiles of adoptive families that match up with what you are looking for.
- Step 4: Meet the adoptive family. Even with a last-minute adoption, you will want to meet your baby’s adoptive family so that you can be sure that they are a good fit to raise your baby. You will also be able to work out a post-placement contact arrangement. For last-minute hospital adoptions, the adoptive family can travel to you typically within a matter of hours so you can meet them at the hospital.
- Step 5: Complete the placement. This is the final step. Here, you will officially consent to your child’s adoption. Your adoption professional will prepare you for what this process will look like.
While same-day adoptions are feasible, make sure that you are taking the time that you need to make the right decision for you.
Adoption Agencies That Accept Infants After Birth
If you have chosen adoption after the birth of your baby, you might be asking yourself: Is it too late to “give” my baby for adoption?
Many national adoption agencies have adequate resources to help facilitate last-minute adoptions. National agencies typically have a lot of waiting adoptive families available, which will ensure that the adoption can be completed as soon as possible. If you are considering adoption late in pregnancy, or if you just gave birth and are wondering who to contact about adoption, you can always get connected to the professional you need by filling out our form.
What to Expect from a Last-Minute Adoption
As the prospective birth parent, your importance in this process cannot be overstated. You are making an incredibly difficult decision that will allow your baby to have the best life possible, while also giving a hopeful adoptive family the chance to have the family of their dreams. While last-minute adoptions are completed quicker than regular infant adoptions, the process looks very similar for the potential birth parent.
As stated earlier, you will work with an adoption agency to create an adoption plan, where you will decide how open you would like the adoption to be and what you are looking for in the adoptive family that will raise your child. You will be able to choose the family from a set of profiles that match your needs, provided to you by your adoption specialist. Especially with a large, national adoption agency, it is never too late to find adoptive parents for your baby.
Once you have found the family you feel is a perfect match for your baby, they will be notified. The adoptive parents will travel to you as quickly as possible. If your adoption plan allows for it, you can meet the family in person to ensure that you have made the right choice. If this goes well, you will then be able to finalize the adoption.
In the case of a last-minute adoption, the adoption process will feel like a lot all at once, maybe even provoking a lot of overwhelming emotions. Talk to your adoption professional about receiving counseling to help you cope with these difficult emotions as you process the adoption.
No matter how last-minute your decision to choose adoption may be, it is a brave decision. If you have more questions about how late you can “give your child up” for adoption, or if you are ready to start the adoption process now, you can get the services and support you need by contacting an agency here.
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.