Is Adoption Right for Me? 5 Big Questions to Ask Yourself
Why Do Birth Mothers Choose Adoption?
Making the decision to place a child for adoption will never be simple or easy. Often, when a woman finds herself in this position, she may ask herself:
- Am I doing this for the right reasons?
- What will my child think if I tell them why I placed them up for adoption?
- Is this a “good enough” reason to choose adoption?
- Why do mothers give their baby up for adoption when it’s so hard?
If you’re asking yourself any of these questions, you’re not alone. Before we go any further, we want to assure you every adoption situation and every prospective birth mother is one of a kind. This means that your reasons for considering adoption are uniquely yours, and you don’t have to worry about searching for a perfect, one-size-fits-all answer.
So, whether you’re a curious adoptive family or a woman who wants to know more about what leads other women to choose adoption for their child, here are just 9 of the many causes for people to “give up” their baby for adoption.
If you’d like to talk about your reasons for choosing adoption, or about why do people give up their baby for adoption, don’t forget that you can always reach out to an adoption professional for free, unbiased information.
- She’s just not ready to be a mom yet: Motherhood is an amazing, beautiful journey. But for many women facing an unplanned pregnancy, it’s just not the right time. In the meantime, a woman might decide to make an adoption plan for her baby so that she can focus on herself while giving her child the gift of an amazing home. If you’re in a similar situation, you might find that this is the best reason to put a baby up for adoption.
- She doesn’t want to be a mom: Not every woman grows up dreaming of raising a family, and that’s okay. Parenthood isn’t for everyone, and there’s nothing wrong with considering other unplanned pregnancy options that might be a better fit. Although she knows that she doesn’t want to be a mom, she might use this opportunity to help another woman who desperately wants to become one. By placing a baby for adoption, you can be a hero to hopeful adoptive parents who wouldn’t be able to complete their family without you.
- She’s already completed her family: An unplanned pregnancy can happen to any woman, even if she already has children. This could be another one of the big reasons to “give baby up” for adoption. After finding out the news, she might realize that she’s not in a position to add another member to her family, whether that’s for financial or personal reasons. Instead, she might feel like it’s a better idea to place her child with a couple who’s still looking to grow their family, or one who’s excited to become first-time parents.
- She doesn’t want to raise her baby alone: There’s no way around it: being a single mother is hard. While it’s possible to do an amazing job, a woman might find it easier to place her child with a family who can give her child the gift of a supportive, two-parent home.
- She doesn’t have a strong support system: It’s possible to raise a child without the support of the birth father. But if she doesn’t have the support of her family either, she might think that it would be easier to choose adoption instead. Her biggest reason to choose adoption could be that she wants her child to grow up in a supportive environment, surrounded by people who love him or her.
- She can’t afford to be a parent right now: Parenthood isn’t cheap. On average, the cost to raise a child to the age to adulthood is around $245,000. That’s an intimidating number to think about. And when many women find out about their unplanned pregnancy, a number like that just isn’t feasible. Instead, she might look to adoption to find a family who can afford to give her child everything she dreamed of for them and more.
- She doesn’t want to choose parenting or abortion: As a woman facing an unplanned pregnancy, you are the only one who can decide what to do next. If you’re decide that parenting or abortion just aren’t right for you, that might be the right reason to choose adoption for your baby.
- She wants to focus on her future: There’s nothing wrong with wanting to put your educational or career goals first. If you’ve found yourself unexpectedly pregnant while you’re in school or while you’re working at your dream job, you might be considering an adoption so that you can focus on the plans you’ve been working so hard to achieve.
- She’s not living in a stable environment: Unfortunately, there are many women who are facing an unplanned pregnancy in difficult circumstances. She may be stuck in a toxic home situation or she might not have a permanent place to live. She might feel like adoption is a better option as it can provide a stable environment for her baby and this is all the main reason behind why to choose adoption.
So, why do parents give up newborn babies for adoption? There are plenty of reasons that we can think of, and the list above barely scratches the surface. But above all else, their goal is to find a safe, loving home for the child they cherish. While every woman’s situation is different, they just want to do the right thing for their baby.
No matter where you’re at in your decision-making process, we’d be more than happy to connect you to an adoption professional who can answer all of your questions. Please fill out our free information form to get started today.
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.