Adoption Agencies for Pregnant Women
Adoption Agencies that Help with Housing
You want your baby to grow up safe and healthy. But, if you’re living in an environment where you’re not sure where your next meal is coming from, or if you’re facing an abusive home situation or the looming threat of an eviction, how can you make your dream a reality? You’re not alone. For many women facing an unexpected pregnancy, finding housing that is both safe and affordable is one of their biggest worries. But it doesn’t have to be. If you’re considering an adoption plan for your baby, there are many adoption agencies that provide housing, and all of them can help get you back on your feet.
What are Adoption Agencies that Help with Housing?An adoption agency that helps with housing provides housing and/or relocation services for their prospective birth mothers. Almost any national or local adoption agency can provide this service for their potential birth parents. There are various ways that any an adoption agency who helps with housing can provide this type of assistance. The most common way is through financial assistance for rent and utilities, but in some situations, there are adoption agencies that pay for relocation, too.
Who Can Use Adoption Agencies that Pay to Relocate You or Assist with Housing Costs?Any prospective birth mother that works with an adoption agency can use their housing services, and there are no costs associated with them. This is part of your financial assistance, so if the need ever arises, you can ask for assistance. There are many prospective birth mothers who already have a stable living situation and will not need as much assistance with housing. While women in these situations can often still receive financial assistance to cover their living expenses, they will not need to disrupt their lives by moving to another living situation. For example, those facing an unexpected teen pregnancy might be living in a stable environment with their parents and won’t need to be relocated. On the other hand, if you don’t currently have a stable home, or if you are in an unsafe situation, you may need help moving to a new apartment or finding housing that you will be able to afford even after the adoption process. Your adoption specialist will make a plan that’s completely tailored to your needs, and will work diligently to get you the kind of help that you need.
What are Some of My Housing Options?There are a couple of ways that you can choose to utilize your financial assistance for housing. Every adoption situation is different, so you can pick the housing situation that best suits your needs. Below are some of your options:
- Living at home: If you’re in a stable environment, you might not need to worry about relocating during your pregnancy. Even so, if you’re choosing to live at home during your adoption, you still won’t need to worry about any costs associated with your adoption. Depending on your state’s laws, your adoption agency can likely continue to help you with financial assistance for things like rent and utilities throughout your pregnancy. Your adoption specialist will be able to determine your eligibility for financial assistance and make any adjustments accordingly.
- Relocation: Sometimes, your living situation might not pan out the way that you think it will. If the environment that you’ve living in isn’t healthy for you or your baby, there are adoption agencies that pay to relocate you. Your adoption specialist can help you find different types of housing based on your needs.
- Living in a maternity home: Some adoption agencies that help with housing offer a residence program for women considering an adoption, which is similar to a dorm‐like environment. In a maternity home, your meal plan, medical care, recreational activities and more will be taken care of by the agency.
What is it Like to Live in a Maternity Home?While they aren’t as common as they once were, a maternity home can be just what some prospective birth mothers need to get back on their feet. But for others, the wait times and restrictions placed on them by this type of environment can be a huge deterrent. Below are some advantages and setbacks of living in a maternity home.
Pros of Maternity HomesMaternity homes are dedicated to providing a safe, welcoming environment for women at any stage in their pregnancy. Many of their services are dedicated to helping women like you get back on their feet. Whether that’s help finding a job, medical career, or living assistance, there are plenty of options available. There are some maternity homes that focus primarily on adoption‐related services, and continue to offer counseling for their prospective birth mothers.Even if you change your mind about an adoption later on, there are many different maternity homes that can help meet your needs. If you’re curious about life in a maternity home, there are plenty of women that have been in your shoes, and have opened up about their experiences online and on adoption forums.
Cons of Maternity HomesMaternity group home programs aren’t always available to everyone, as there are usually certain eligibility requirements for women interested in joining a particular program. And because space can be limited, most women are only allowed to have one or two children with them, if any. Some maternity homes even have a list to get into their program, and for many prospective birth mothers, waiting just isn’t an option. Additionally, many maternity homes impose certain rules and restrictions on women living there, such as curfews and other supervision. And because many maternity homes have a religious affiliation, women may feel pressured to follow certain beliefs or make certain decisions about their pregnancies while staying there.
Where Can I Find Adoption Agencies Who Will Give Me Housing?To help you start looking at different housing options, here are some well‐known adoption agencies that provide housing assistance and maternity homes to look into.
- American Adoptions
- Gladney Center for Adoption
- Lifeline Child
- National Maternity Housing Coalition
- Youth Emergency Services
- New Beginnings Homes