Facing an Unplanned Pregnancy
What to Do When Pregnant at 14
5 FAQs about Your Teenage Pregnancy Options
Finding out you’re pregnant at 14 can be overwhelming and scary. You may feel anxious, confused and unsure of what to do next.
Rest assured: you’re not alone, and you have options. We understand this may be a challenging time for you, so we’re here to help you make informed decisions about your pregnancy. You will always have the choice to do what is best for your situation. We will always be here to support and guide you, no matter what.
Reach out to a national adoption hotline at 1-800-ADOPTION or contact us online now to get more free information.
1. What Are My Options as a Pregnant 14-Year-Old?
Depending on where you’re at in your pregnancy, you will always have options. And, no matter what, you will have the support and guidance to make the best decision for yourself and your baby. In general, there are three unplanned pregnancy options you can explore:
- Adoption: This is an option for you if you want to place your baby with a family that has always dreamed of raising a baby. Adoption is 100% free for you and lets you take back control of your life. You’ll be able to choose an adoptive family, create an adoption plan and much more.
- Parenting: Choosing to parent would mean carrying your pregnancy to term and raising a child. This option requires careful consideration of your physical, emotional and financial readiness to take on the responsibilities of parenthood at a young age. As a 14-year-old pregnant teenager, you would need significant help to raise a child. Be sure to speak with your parents if you consider this unplanned pregnancy option.
- Abortion: In many states, you need parental consent to obtain an abortion. Depending on your situation, certain state laws restrict when a pregnant teenager can seek an abortion. Make sure to speak with your doctor if you’re considering this option.
Contact us online now to learn more about your options as a pregnant 14-year-old.
2. What Are the Benefits of Adoption for a Pregnant 14-Year-Old?
Adoption can be one of the most affordable, accessible unplanned pregnancy options out there. It won’t cost you a cent to receive services and support from an adoption agency. When you’re pregnant at 14 and choose adoption, you can continue pursuing your educational goals without the immediate responsibilities of parenting.
It allows you to focus on your growth and development during an essential stage in your life. You’ll be able to carefully select a loving, stable home for your child with parents ready to provide them with the care and support they need. Adoption can also allow you to stay in touch with your baby and the adoptive family.
3. Which Adoption Agencies Are Best for a Pregnant 14-Year-Old?
National adoption agencies are the best agencies for potential birth mothers. These agencies have what it takes to provide the support and guidance needed for birth mothers going through the adoption process. Some national adoption agencies are full-service, meaning they can offer more support than local professionals.
These agencies also have a wide range of adoptive families to choose from. Because you can browse families nationwide, you’ll have no problem finding an adoptive family that fits your preferences. Below are some reputable national adoption agencies you can contact:
4. Can I See My Baby after the Adoption?
Yes, you will always have the option to stay in touch with your baby after the adoption. When you’re wondering what to do when you’re 14 and pregnant, open adoption lets you stay connected to your baby at whatever level you’re comfortable with.
You can choose how much contact you want with the adoptive family and your baby when you create an adoption plan. Some common methods of communication include:
- Phone calls
- Video chat
- In-person visits
- Handwritten letters
- Or whatever you’re comfortable with
If you’re unsure about how much communication you want, then that’s OK, too. According to American Adoptions, a licensed national adoption agency, there is no set rule on how much contact you’re supposed to have. Instead, it all depends on your comfort level.
5. How Can I Begin the Adoption Process When I’m Pregnant at 14?
When you’re 14 and pregnant considering adoption, one of the first things you’ll need to do is contact an adoption agency. They’ll connect you with a birth parent specialist who will walk you through the ins and outs of the adoption process. Your birth parent specialist will be there with you every step of the way to make sure you’re always supported.
After contacting an adoption agency, you’ll work with your birth parent specialist to create a personalized adoption plan. This plan is a guidebook for how you want your adoption experience to go. You’ll make some important decisions, including choosing a family, creating your hospital plan and deciding what you want your adoption relationship to look like.
Things can seem scary and overwhelming when you’re pregnant at 14, but you are not alone. You will always be supported to do what’s best for yourself and your baby’s future.
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.