Your Guide to Adoption Agencies in Pennsylvania
Your Guide to Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia
The city of Philadelphia is bursting at the seams with meaningful history and culture. Pennsylvania’s largest city is home to so many stories, real and legendary. It was the home base of the American Revolution and drafting site of the Declaration of Independence. It is the fictional home to icons such as Rocky Balboa. And it is home to millions of smaller, but just as important, stories acted out daily by people who live there — people like you. Within these stories there are hopeful parents who dream of starting a family. Whether by necessity or for other reasons, many of these hopeful parents will consider adoption. There are also, conversely, many women in Philadelphia experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Unsure of what to do, many of these expectant mothers are looking for answers and a path forward. In response to both, adoption agencies in Philadelphia are there to help. Adoption may be something you haven’t been thinking about for very long. The idea may be totally new to you — and you probably have a lot of questions. There are a lot of great resources for you to find answers about adoption. Here, we’re going to help you understand what adoption agencies in Philadelphia do and who you can turn to for help. Agencies are the starting point of adoption, and this guide to adoption agencies in Philadelphia will put you on the right path.
What Are Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia?Adoption agencies in Philadelphia are professional organizations made up of social workers, counselors, administrators and other staff members. These organizations are licensed and regulated at the state level. An adoption agency in Philadelphia can operate locally with a Pennsylvania license or nationally with licensing in many different states. As far as what adoption agencies in Philadelphia do — think of them as the engine moving adoption forward. Adoption agencies provide the necessary services to complete an adoption for prospective birth mothers and hopeful parents. This means taking the steps to ensure an adoption is completed according to all applicable state and federal laws. It also means doing things like finding adoption opportunities for prospective birth mothers and families, guiding families through home studies, helping prospective birth mothers receive adoption financial assistance, and counseling everyone through the challenging moments in the process. All of these services come together to make the adoption process as smooth as possible for everyone involved. The agencies’ actions also protect everyone involved, helping to ensure that adoption is done in the best interests of the prospective birth mother, adoptive family and child.
Types of Adoption Agencies in PhiladelphiaThere are several different types of adoption agencies in Philadelphia. Each type of agency typically specializes in a certain type of adoption. Deciding on the type of adoption that will fit their family is one of the most important choices hopeful adoptive parents will make. Great resources breaking down the differences between domestic adoption, foster care adoption and international adoption are available to families. It’s always good to read as much material as you can and make an informed decision. If it takes time to land on the right type of adoption for you, that’s okay. Once you are able to decide on a type of adoption, you can choose between these types of adoption agencies:
- Private Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia: This type of agency serves families and prospective birth mothers in the domestic infant adoption process. An expectant mother will work with the agency to create an adoption plan. She will be able to choose an adoptive family after looking over several adoptive family profiles. The adoptive family will also work with the same agency and will be guided through the process to a successful placement.
- Philadelphia Adoption and Foster Care Agencies: There are thousands of children in foster care who need to be adopted by a family. Philadelphia adoption and foster care agencies can help with this through a process called “foster to adopt.” Hopeful parents complete the necessary training to become foster parents with the state of Pennsylvania and are then placed with a child who is available for adoption. This type of adoption has many challenges but can be a great way to adopt.
- International Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia: Finally, many families decide to look overseas for their adoption. Foreign adoptions peaked in 2004 and have been declining since, but it is still an option chosen by thousands of American families each year. International adoption agencies in Philadelphia can guide you through the complexities of international adoption.
Adoption Agencies in PhiladelphiaWith an understanding of what adoption agencies are, what they do and what types of agencies you can choose from, you are ready to begin considering adoption agencies in Philadelphia.
Domestic Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia
Philadelphia Adoption and Foster Care Agencies
International Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia
Best Adoption Agencies in Philadelphia for Prospective Birth MothersIf you are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and considering adoption for your baby, you will need to connect with a private adoption agency in Philadelphia. It’s important to know that not all agencies are created equal. While some only provide baseline services, others go above and beyond to make sure you receive all of the services and support you need while making this brave decision. When considering different adoption agencies in Philadelphia, here are a few things you can look for:
- 24/7 availability
- Licensed social workers and counselors
- A sense of respect and encouragement
- Experience: How many placements do they work with each year?
- A plan to help prospective birth mothers receive adoption financial assistance
What Comes Next in Your Adoption Journey?Adoption is very personal. Only you can know what is right for you. When it comes to choosing adoption, the type of adoption and the adoption agency in Philadelphia, your unique circumstances will inform the best choices for your life. When you’re ready to pick an agency, the best course of action is contacting several different ones. Weigh how they feel against each other, and ask questions to find out which agency is going to do the best job for you.
Ready to get started? Contact an adoption agency now to get free information.